Certification for Builders
Certification for Builders
Developed by the Canadian Home Builders' Association of BC (CHBA-BC), our provincial association, the Certified Residential Builder (CRB), and the Registered Housing Professional (RHP) designations are for builders. These are one of North America's first industry-driven, self-certification programs.
The CRB title is awarded to the company, and the RHP title to the individual. These designations recognize continuing commitment to education and compliance with high standards in the areas of building and building practices. The CRB and RHP designations are an industry-backed way for potential home buyers to distinguish one business from another. Training, experience, industry-involvement, commitment and an indication of financial security are all required components.
Requirements For Certification
To earn the Registered Housing Professional (RHP) designation, an individual must:
- have a total of five years experience with three years practical “hands on” in the residential construction industry either in a vocational school environment or on-the-job training;
- be employed by a member of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association; and
- successfully complete the following six mandatory courses with a passing grade of 80%:
- Financial Management
- Project Management
- Marketing and Project Sales
- Built Green BC Builder Training Workshop
- Construction Law
- BC Building Code -- Single-Family Dwellings
To earn the Certified Residential Builder (CRB) designation, a business must:
- employ in a position of responsibility, a Registered Housing Professional;
- be a member of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association for at least two years, one year of which must be immediately prior to receiving certification;
- be a member in good standing with a warranty provider; and
- be registered with the Homeowner Protection Office.
Maintaining Your Certification
Due to the constantly changing nature of the industry, and to encourage an on-going commitment to continuing education, the designations are granted for a one-year period only. Annually, CHBA-BC mails to all individuals a renewal fee invoice. The fee must be paid within 30 days to avoid de-registration.
In addition, at least six hours of professional development must be completed every year to keep the designation current. Credit for professional development can be earned either by:
- Attending seminars or courses offered by CHBA-BC or other industry associations (course credit to be evaluated and approved by CHBA-BC);
- Attending provincial or national conference business sessions;
- Participating in the association by way of chairing a major committee or serving on the Executive Committee.
As they become available, all applicable update courses for the mandatory courses (i.e. R-2000 and Building Code) must be completed.
To download a copy of the CRB/RHP syllabus and certification guide, click here. For more information on the certification program, visit the CHBA-BC Web site or call 604-432-7112.
Delivery of Certification Courses
GVHBA and other local home builders' association are responsible for delivering all certification course modules. Visit our Calendar of Events page and get more information on upcoming local certification courses.
Members with the Registered Housing Professional (RHP):
John Friswell – CCI Renovations
Larry Clay – Clay Construction
Gregory Nielsen – GD Nielsen Development
Mark Gauvin – Gauvin 2000 Construction
Harald Koehn – Harald Koehn Construction
Steve Kemp – Kemp Construction
Graham Collins – Kenorah Construction
Rick Johal – Kooney Homes
Rob Capar – maison d’etre design-build
Mark Nowotny – My House Design/Build Team
Len Noort – Noort Development
Michael Noort – Noort Development
Merlin Wick – Noort Development
Brad Hughes – Park Ridge Homes
Balraj Singh Mann – Penmat Contractors
Gordon Knuttila – Silver Valley Homes
Bernie Elischer – Wallmark Homes
Nick Hill – Ritchie Homes Vancouver
Member Companies with the Certified Residential Builder (CRB):
Maison d’etre design-build
Gauvin 2000 Construction
Park Ridge Homes Kemp Construction
Harald Koehn Construction
My House Design/Build Team
Ritchie Builders Vancouver
GD Nielsen Developments
Information Request or Feedback: Request more information from GVHBA, offer us any comments, or provide feedback on our Web site.