Careers in Construction
Careers in Construction
We are pleased to provide the following resources for those who are looking at a full-time rewarding career in the construction industry.
- Education & Training Resources for Residential Construction in B.C.: Homeowner Protection Office Web site with links to construction education opportunities.
- Career Paths In Residential Construction Industry (PDF): From the Canadian Home Builders' Association - Six-page brochure, listing the different industry players and their roles.
- Industry Training Authority: List of designated trades with a description of their roles and responsibilities.
- BCIT – British Columbia Institute of Technology: BCIT offers apprentice training in more than 30 trades from the construction, transportation, mechanical and electrical industries.
- Vancouver School Board Secondary School Apprenticeship (SSA) Program: SSA is a standard apprenticeship program. It is workplace-based training supplemented by specific technical training in an institutional setting.
- Industry Training Authority: Information on what apprenticeship is, costs, what it means to you, training and your entry point options.
- A website for the trades: provides relevant information on tax credits and financial resources such as the tradesperson’s deduction for tools, the apprenticeship incentive grant, and the apprenticeship completion grant. The information and resource-based website TradeLinks.ca also has links to career opportunities, bookkeeping, employee rights, and employer responsibilities.
- GVHBA Career Link: Employment referral service for GVHBA member companies.
- The Canadian Home Builders' of B.C. Job Store (CHBA-BC): An online job bank and resource for information on construction-industry job.
- Vancouver Regional Construction Association: Their Construction Job Centre is a recruitment and job seeking assistance service for both employers and those seeking employment.
Other Information Sources
- Careers for Hard Hats and Other Constructive Types: Book from McGraw Hill on putting your construction knowledge to work.
- Canadian Construction Sector Council: Information and knowledge sources to help you make construction industry career decisions.
Information Request or Feedback: Request more information from GVHBA, offer us any comments, or provide feedback on our Web site.